Wednesday, August 20, 2014

My English Learning Journey

Before I start recalling my learning journey, please do allow me to do a brief introduction about myself. I am an ordinary Malaysian girl. My initial planning before I got the offer from NUS was just to stay in Malaysia and apply to the local universities. But I guess everything just turned out to be so different and now I am here in NUS.
To be honest, English had never been my first language back in Malaysia. I normally speak Mandarin with my parents and most of the subjects that I took during my pre-U were taught in Malay.I am not a big fan of English, so I find it pretty hard for me to build up the interest in reading English novels like what my peers usually did. Although we do have our own Malaysian University English Test (MUET), and I managed to score a Band 5, which is 220/300 marks, I know that I still have more to learn especially in terms of essay writing.  
Hence I was really worried when I knew that I will be studying in NUS, such a prestigious university with English as the main communicating language. So, I end up regretting that I should have pushed myself harder before I came here. After I sat for my Qualifying English Test, I got Band 2, for me I was really grateful as I expect that I might be getting Band 1 instead. I think some of you still remember that I considered myself introvert due to my limitations in language, which is really a main concern for me.  
However, I am glad to have the chance to study ES1102. Although I just attended the first class but I do feel relaxed and I look forward to attending the remaining classes. Hopefully after 12 week’s ‘training’, then I will be able to upgrade my language skills and also to meet new friends. I believe that it is never too late to start a journey and I feel lucky to have everyone in ES1102 as my companion. Let’s embark on this journey together and we shall see our changes throughout the whole process.


Edited on 2nd September 2014.



8 comments:

  1. From what i read, i guess you managed to pull off a good and cohesive article of your English learning journey. It must have been daunting to be thrown into an foreign environment like Singapore. I believe i will also feel the same if i were in Malaysia as well.

    Perhaps, in order to kickstart your interest in English you could start reading something of your interest and afterwhich progress on to newspaper something of that sort.

    Me and you alike are still pretty much a "work in progress" situation and could only learn more in class

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for your comments, I will keep in mind and try to built up my interest in English and also getting the most out of ES1102. :)

      Delete
  2. Hey Jie Ling,

    As a Malaysian,I strongly feel the same way as you! I feel stressful too to come to NUS and everyone can speak in English in such fluent way. (and I believe that they can write very well too) However, I think we can be better ones if we put much more effort and be brave to speak in English to everyone! There is a senior who always reminds me to be open-minded in NUS or else we will only confine ourselves in the comfort zone.

    Also, I feel happy to know that you have such a positive attitude towards ES1102! I believe that this will be a very fun module!=)
    It's good to see you in this class anyway!


    Love,
    JiaNing

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am glad to see you in the same class too~Thanks for your comments and I will bear in mind the advice that you had written here~See you in class :)

      Delete
  3. Thank you, Jie Ling, for this clearly heart-felt and enthusiastic reflection. I appreciate the honest self assessment on your past level of interest in English, but it's good to see that you realize how important the language will be for you here at NUS.

    Here are a few minor language issues to address now:


    1) English has never been my first language back in Malaysia. (tense)

    2) most of the subjects that I took during my pre-U was taught in Malay (subject-verb agreement)

    3) ... I find it pretty hard for me to sit there and read English novels... (sit where?)

    4) ... I managed to score a Band 5, which is 220/300 marks, I knew that I still have more to learn especially in terms of essay writing. (tense)

    5) Hence I was really worried when I knew that I will be studying in NUS, such a prestigious university with English as the main communicating language.

    6) I end up regretting that I should have pushed myself harder before I came here.

    7) After I sat for my Qualifying English Test, I got Band 2, for me I was really grateful as I expect that I might be getting Band 1 instead.

    8) I do feel really relax... (word form)

    Let's work on these.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Brad,
      I tried to make certain changes for the mistakes that you addressed above as I am afraid that we don't have time to go through the mistakes one by one in the class. I would like to ask a favor from you to check the edited version. However, for 5,6 & 7, I am not sure about it hence I didn't make any changes, maybe you can explain to me in class? Thanks~

      Regards,
      Jie Ling

      Delete
  4. Hi Jie Ling,

    I know it must be really stressful for you to be here, but I feel that you should have more confidence in your own language abilities! The fact that you managed to make it here shows that you are capable enough to handle it. Try not to worry too much about your "limitations in language" because it seems perfectly fine from my interactions with you thus far! :) Maybe our language isn't perfecct yet, but I'm sure we will work towards it through these 12 weeks and improve together!

    ReplyDelete