Tuesday, September 2, 2014

Small things, Big difference.

There was once when I had a short conversation with my mother. It was about my neighbor's three-year old child. He was suffering from a high fever and his parents had to send him to the hospital. Our conversation was eventually drawn to my childhood stories, which I can hardly remember. My mom told me that I experienced the same situation a couple of years ago. Everyone was so worried as there had been myths claiming that high fever will cause brain damage.

However, the main issue that caught my attention was not the incident itself. Instead, it was my mother's expression when she explained the whole incident. I can still recall that she tended to blame herself for her negligence in taking care of me thus resulting in this incident. I was so touched at that moment but I chose to keep it to myself. 

This event had a huge impact on my perception of life for which I am now more appreciative towards everything, particularly to my parents. I used to put things off when my parents ask me to do house chores but now I will not hesitate to fulfill their request. I appreciate every single moment that we spent together although it was just part of the daily routine.

On the other hand, I always bear in mind that life is full of uncertainties. We can neither alter the past nor predict the future, hence what we can do is to appreciate the present. This pretty much concludes who I am today and I can foresee a better future with this mindset.          

Edited on 3rd of September.


4 comments:

  1. This is a very poignant reflection, Jie Ling, illustrating the appreciation you have developed for your parents' care. I look forward to how your classmates' respond.

    Just a couple minor language issues:

    1) I can still recall that she tend... (tense)

    2) This event had a huge impact on my perception of life for which I am now more appreciative towards everything, particularly to my parents. (sentence structure)

    3) I appreciate every single moment that we spent together although it is just part of the daily routine. (tense)

    4)
    On the other hand, I always bear in mind that life is full of uncertainties, we can neither alter the past nor predict the future, hence what we can do is to appreciate the present. (run on sentences)

    Thank you for the effort!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Jie Ling,

    Thanks you for such an insightful reflection. I agree with you that we should appreciate the little things people do for us. We tend to take things for granted as we assume that people will always be there for us.

    You managed to effectively answer the question throughout your reflection. You took readers on a journey whereby they are able to see how you learn and grow from past experiences.

    Your conclusion also clearly indicates your hopes for the future.

    Thank you Jie Ling

    Diyanah

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Jie Ling

    I strongly agree with the point on how "life is full of uncertainties. We can neither alter the past nor predict the future, hence what we can do is to appreciate the present."! It's something that I have been trying to live by as well. I think nothing can ever beat the love of a mother and I am glad you managed to appreciate that in time and return the love and favour to her as a filial daughter :) This post relates to me well and I hope for the best for you too!

    ReplyDelete