Wednesday, November 5, 2014

Reflection on Essay Presentation

After I did my essay presentation, there are a few points that need to be improved.

Firstly, in terms of preparation, I do think that I didn't put in enough effort. Therefore, it resulted in a high level of nervousness throughout my presentation. Besides, the presence of short notes a.k.a cue cards (which is compulsory for my public speaking speeches) distracted my concentration as I tended to read according to the notes. Last but not least, I have always been less confident about my ability in speaking English, probably because of my accent or pronunciation, therefore I was unable to present myself naturally during the presentation.

Knowing these weaknesses, I will try my best to overcome them as we know that presentations are essential not only during our university life but also our work life. I will try to build up my confidence from time to time and also prepare well in order to familiarize myself with the topic of the presentation. Although this process does take time, but I believe that as long as I am willing to make a change then I can definitely make it.  

4 comments:

  1. Thanks very much, Jie Ling, for the detailed reflection. You are very self critical of your presentation. I found it quite good and most definitely a positive learning experience for you.

    You mention that in your public speaking course you need to use cue cards. That's interesting. But I wonder what the justification is.

    Best wishes for your next presentation!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Brad, the reason why we are required to use cue cards is because they act as a form of speaking outline with delivery cues on top. For example, we can include reminders for ourselves to pause at certain point or to project our voice to highlight certain words. It is believed to be effective in enhancing the effect of our speech.

      Delete
  2. Hi JieLing!

    I actually felt that your presentation was good in general. Though you depended much on your cue cards, you made attempt to connect with your audience by making good eye contact! I also love how you slides worked hand in hand with your explanation during your presentation! You slides were simple, clean and clear cut!
    One thing that I thought could have made your presentation better would be what Mr Brad mentioned to a couple of us: the strategic position to stand where you can see your audience and at the same time be aware of your powerpoint slides. Throughout your presentation, you tend to look at the slides a bit too frequently to make sure you're on the right page with your audience! So with this tip, I'm sure your next presentation would be perfect! I'm impressed how you can deal with your nervousness and complete your presentation with a smooth flow without any major hiccups! Proud of you! :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi JieLing!

    I actually thought you had made a lot of preparation for your essay presentation! I could see those efforts from the cards and slides you prepared. From the data clearly showed in your slides, I felt your presentation actually made the presentation very informative, I wondered it's just that the nervousness that made you uncomfortable and lack of confidence(I could understand this!). It would be better if you could make more eye contact with the audiences and refer less to your cards so that we can feel that you are actually presenting your work to us but not reading a script. Overall, it's still a good presentation! Good job JieLing~!

    ReplyDelete